Officials Working for CYO Must Attend a VIRTUS Training Session
By Way of Background
- The pastors of the parishes across the Diocese of Rockville Centre have the responsibility to be sure that all parish employees, volunteers and third-party individuals who routinely are present on parish grounds have a background check and have completed a VIRTUS training session.
- The role of CYO in the Child Protection Policy is to administer to the compliance of those engaged to officiate at CYO games and events.
What Is VIRTUS
- VIRTUS is a program created by the National Catholic Risk Retention Group in the United States with a "Protecting God's Children" component that combats sexual abuse of children in the Church.
- The goal of the VIRTUS program is primarily to be proactive instead of reactive when dealing with child sexual abuse. To prevent sexual abuse, VIRTUS advocates five steps:
- Knowing the warning signs of abuse
- Controlling access to children
- Monitoring programs involving children
- Being aware of how children behave
- Communicating concerns
- VIRTUS focuses on educating adults who interact with children about sexual abuse and providing them with information to help prevent abuse. This takes place in 'awareness sessions' led by trained facilitators. The awareness sessions consist of videos, worksheets, and discussions. The videos incorporate interviews with both victims and convicted perpetrators.
- You are required to attend only one session. It is not an annual requirement.
What is Required of You as a CYO Official?
- In order for you to be in compliance with the Diocesan Child Protection Policy and in order for you to be eligible to officiate with CYO, you must attend a VIRTUS training session.
- To register for a class, click on this link http://www.virtusonline.org/virtus/reg_list2.cfm?theOrgID=17044&theme=0 . (There is no cost to you for attending this class).
- The page will open to “VIRTUS Online”. A listing of all currently scheduled sessions within the Diocese of Rockville Centre will be displayed. Click on the “Start Registration” button towards the top of the page to begin the registration process. Please see the attached pdf file (VIRTUS reg instructions) which contains step-by-step screen shots to guide you through the registration process (which should take less than 5 minutes)
Please reach out to me should you have any questions. If you have already taken a VIRTUS class, please send me a copy of your Certificate of Completion. Your role as a CYO Official is vital to CYO and always appreciated.